- Other Apps
Tinglayan is a scenic municipality of the province of Kalinga, located 3 hours away from its capital, Tabuk. Its community is surrounded by lush mountains with the Chico River flowing on one side. It is a destination for those who love nature, hiking and immersing into other cultures.
Before you visit Kalinga, it is highly recommended to read this nicely written and informative article from Kayumanggi Trails for an Outsider’s Guide to Kalinga Sensibilities.
How to Get to Kalinga :
From Manila, ride a Tabuk-bound bus from Victory Liner Kamias. Fare is 569 Pesos as of August 2012 (One-way, aircon).
Website : www.victoryliner.com
There are about three tips departing in the evening for Tabuk. Call the terminal to confirm prior to your trip. Tickets can also be purchased in advance.
Travel Time : 12 hours
As an alternate, you can also ride a bus to Tugeugarao (599 Pesos), also at the same terminal as this has more trips. From Tuguegarao, Tabuk is 1.5 hours away by public van which are parked at the side of Brickstone Mall, less than a 10-minute walk across the Victory Liner terminal in Tuguegarao.
Another option would be to travel via Bontoc or Baguio. From Manila, Cable Tours has a single daily trip to Bontoc (650 Pesos) departing at 8:30 PM.
Address : E. Rodriguez Sr. QC., across Trinity University of Asia
Call +63 09298194688 to verify the trip schedule.
To go back to Manila, you can take an afternoon bus from Tabuk or make your way to Tuguegarao which has several buses departing in the morning for Manila. Victory Liner, Florida, Dalin bus lines have trips back to Manila. You can also continue your adventures to Baguio City. Tabuk and Dagupan have bus terminals servicing this route. (Fare is 450 Pesos, non-aircon), most of which depart in the afternoon starting at 3:00 PM.
How to Get to Tinglayan :
From Tabuk, ride a jeep or bus in front of the police station across the St. William’s Cathedral. Be there by 9:00 AM. Fare is 120 Pesos and travel time is 3 hours around the mountains with breathtaking views and deep ravines. Ordinary buses to Bontoc also pass by Tinglayan.
Activities Available :
1. Hike Sleeping Beauty (also called as Mt. Mating-oy Dinayao) –it’s an 8-hour hike to its summit according to a local guide I consulted.
2. Trek to Palan-ah falls and hotsprings.
3. Visit the local tattoo artists.
4. See the Chico River up-close. Please check with the tourism office and check weather forecast before taking the trail down. The trail is less than 20 minutes down at the back of the elementary school in Tinglayan.
More sights here : http://www.nscb.gov.ph/rucar/fnf_kalinga.htm
Tinglayan Accommodations :
1. Sleeping Beauty Inn – situated near the major road and also has nice views of Sleeping Beauty.
Rate : 200 Pesos; has a restaurant overlooking the Chico river and a store where you can buy groceries and souvenirs.
2. Riverside Inn – 250 Pesos/Head, situated in Brgy. Lup Lupa. The accommodation is beside the Chico River. The jeep/bus to Tinglayan will pass by Brgy. Lup Lupa
3. Homestays – check with the local tourism office.
Guide : Francis Pa-In - +63 0915-769-0843 Rate is 800 Pesos/Day (1 PAX), for two, 500/head. The guide fee lessens per additional person.
Budget : Ideal budget depends on what you want to do but mine was just 2,500 Pesos for two nights. I decided to just walk around town and wade at the Chico River.
Other Helpful Reads :
1. Kayumanggi Trails
2. Journeying James
3. Escape Islands
5. Eazy Traveler